Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

Thank you to all of you who have served our country over the years. Both of my grandfathers, Ray and Max, served during WWII. I am proud to be their granddaughter. My brother in law, Ryan, is on his way home from Iraq right now. I am proud to be his sister.

I know that there are mixed opinions to say the least concerning the military and our current conflicts. And I know that in the past, veterans haven't always been treated with the dignity and respect they deserve. I have been pleased to see that our troops are recieving much more respect and appreciation these days. Even by some of those who do not support the wars in Iraq or Afgahnistan.

I was talking to an older woman a few weeks ago about this very thing. She recalled her first husband coming home from Vietnam. She and his parents were meeting him in the airport. As they were all approaching each other, a stranger ran up to her husband, shouted something obscence and spit on him. She said if her father in law hadn't held her back, she would have been in jail for what she wanted to do to that person.

I can't say I blame her.

So welcome home to the 76th Infantry Brigade Combat Team. There will be many happy families this holiday season.

Spirit of the 76th

PS...I am hearing rumors of a welcome home party on the Saturday the 22nd. More details to follow.

1 comment:

Us said...

Very nice Laina and beautifully written! I am proud of Ryan for his service and I thank of him from the bottom of my heart!!! xo Keli