Monday, March 07, 2011

How is it possible?

March? Really? This year is flying by. I have plans for a vacation to make. I have things to organize and move into my storage unit. I need to get my car to a mechanic. There's no way it is really March right?

So I guess I need to get started. I am a procrastinator at heart. I take forever to make up my mind. I weight the pros and cons for so long, they become useless. One thing I wanted to do was write more. You can see the length of time between this post and the previous one to know that is so true. I have recently re-discovered the world of fanfiction. What is that you ask? Its exactly what it sounds like. It is fictional accounts written by fans of established books, movies, tv shows etc.. People pick up on a character or event and run with it. It could be a simple "one shot" short story that the writer thinks should happen or a complete story arc with multiple chapters. Many times, fanfiction is the writer's dream of what "really" should have happened, especially when they dislike the way the original story plays out. They can create the happy ending in their own fictional universe. Most stories have an explanation up front describing when and where the story fits into the time-line of the original. Others are noted as AU (Alternate Universe) or non-canonical.

Most sites have categories of stories as well as ratings. This is the internet after all and people can post all sorts of junk. My advice is to narrow any search you do by limiting ratings and if I were you, I would stay far far away from slash. (you'll have to take my word for it or go google it) Trust me, we are talking brain scrubbing here people.

Some fanfiction is really good. Good writing, actual plots, believable. The rest is a combination of terrible writing, trashy plots, and just plain not plausible. And all of it at times can be extremely funny. For example, yesterday I stumbled across a short 6 chapter story that was based on the tv show Criminal Minds. The premise was what if all the characters were on facebook. It. Was. Hilarious! One of the funniest things I have read in a long time. I was in tears from laughing so hard. The author was dead on with the attitudes of each character, though it wasn't completely based on "canon." Maybe I will take a shot at writing some fanfiction myself. Though if I post it online, I don't know that I will publicly acknowledge it here. :)


So if it is March, that means Spring is around the corner. And not soon enough! I really want to get outside and walk. I am so over wearing a coat all the time. I need sunshine and green grass. I need warmth. I need longer days. Who's with me?

One last random note, I have been wanting cupcakes forever and I finally went on Saturday to the Flying Cupcake, in the rain no less, and grabbed a couple to take home and share. They were all good.

The cupcake box complete with raindrops. The sacrifices I make people!

And here we are. Red Velvet Elvis, Pucker Up, Salted Chocolate Caramel, and The Bart Simpson (butterfinger, get it?)

Yum! We cut each in fourths and so we could all have a bite or two of each one.

No comments: